Friday, July 30, 2010

So, NOW, We're Misinformed?

If you will recall, I noticed that the head of NOW, America's largest feminist organization (I think), was awarded an all-expenses paid junket to visit our little acre here. The US Consulate had her visit with Arab women's groups in the territories aka Judea and Samaria. Jewish females were excluded.

Now, in America, I think that would be termed "discrimination" or "marginalization". I can imagine her asking her hosts: "do I get to see what Jewish women are doing in their communities and how they are coping with Arab terror? can I visit their special programs and observe their own self-empowerment efforts?". You know, things like that.

Well, Ms. O'Neill's response to inquiries on the subject went like this:

Hello Yisrael Medad,

In fact, I did meet with numerous Israeli women's organizations during my
visit to Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. You were misinformed on that issue, as
well as on my name.

With best wishes,
Terry O'Neill

Terry O'Neill, President
National Organization for Women
1100 H Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20005
Office: 202-628-8669, xt 120
Cell: 301-233-8582
president@now.org


Misinformed?

As one of my friends presumed, it is quite doubtful that the NOW President met with women living in the Jewish communities in Judea or Samaria. I haven't heard of it and I am pretty sure I would have been in the know (not NOW).

Not only that, I am going to make an educated guess that the women she did meet with in Israel held to a very identified political - not feminist - agenda. One that is left, progressive, radical and one that ignores the severe problems Muslim women suffer because of their own society and culture. One that foremost blames all the problems of women on Israel and its "occupation".

Oh, where are the real liberals, those open-minded rationalists?


Did she at least meet with Tali Fahima, last seen in a kaffiyeh demonstrating on behalf of Sheikh Rayad Salah?



- - -

1 comment:

Devorah said...

She doesnt' need to meet with Jewish women and their communities because they're doing fine from a feminist perspective. It's the women living under Arab rule that have the problem.